Arson suspect bailed after derelict care home fire

News imageHIWFRS Bright flames can be seen in a three-storey, ornate building at night. The orange glow of the fire can be seen in the windows. A fire officer stands on scrub-land in the foreground.HIWFRS
The fire broke out at the former care home on Tuesday night

An 18-year-old arrested following a fire at a derelict care home has been released on police bail.

The fire on London Road, Liss, broke out at about 23:15 BST on Tuesday night. Around 60 firefighters were sent to the scene with crews working through the night to put the fire out.

All three floors as well as the roof of the building were engulfed in the blaze with parts of the building collapsing leaving a charred shell.

Hampshire and Isle of Wight police said the man from Portsmouth, arrested on suspicion of arson, had been released on bail until 11 November.

It was nearly 24 hours before firefighters declared the fire as being out.

Hampshire & Isle of Wight Fire & Rescue Service said a cordon remains in place and the building is being guarded due to concerns over the building's structural stability.

News imageHIWFRS Firefighters spraying water onto a large building seen smoking due to fire.HIWFRS
The former care home was reduced to a charred shell following the fire