Dual carriageway reopens after wildfire repairs

News imageNew Forest National Park Authority A deserted A31 dual carriageway lined with treesNew Forest National Park Authority
The A31 was closed for nearly two weeks

A dual carriageway that was closed for nearly two weeks due to a wildfire in the New Forest National Park has reopened.

A major incident was declared after a van fire on the A31 near Ringwood on 9 August went on to destroy about 0.6 sq miles (1.6 sq km) of heathland.

National Highways said the road, which is the main route between Bournemouth and Southampton, reopened on Saturday morning following repairs.

Work included resurfacing and replacing 2,624ft (800m) of safety barriers and 4,921ft (1,500m) of boundary fencing.

Kat Saradinova, head of scheme delivery, said previously the repairs were "substantial and the conditions challenging".

"Our work to replace the damaged fencing to stop animals getting on to the A31 has been essential for the safe opening of the road," she said.

News imageNew Forest Police Fire in New Forest with orange glow seen to the right of a road and many emergency services in the distance.New Forest Police
The New Forest wildfire eventually covered the equivalent of about 230 football pitches

Temporary barriers have been installed on elevated parts of the route until "bespoke parts" can be sourced.

Permanent repairs are expected to be carried out in September.

A 40mph (64km/h) speed limit is in place on the eastbound carriageway.

Lane one remains closed on the westbound carriageway with a 50mph (80km/h) speed limit to allow fire services to safely exit the area.

Tristan Pascoe has been assessing the environmental impact of the fire