Health bodies back Nesbitt following resignation
PA MediaOfficials in the health service have shown their support for Mike Nesbitt, saying he "offered strong political leadership" and "listened to clinical leaders," after his resignation as health minister amid a row with the UUP leader Jon Burrows.
The decision comes following a clash over withdrawing emergency general surgery services from Causeway Hospital and moving them to Antrim.
Last week Burrows, who is a North Antrim MLA, told a town hall meeting that he did not support emergency general surgery (EGS) being removed from the hospital.
A Northern Trust spokesperson said the current model of providing emergency general surgery across two acute sites is becoming "increasingly unsustainable".
They said surgical colleagues are finding it challenging to provide 24/7 emergency rota cover at both hospitals.
Burrows thanked Nesbitt, saying he "took on arguably the hardest job in government".
The BBC understands that there will be an emergency meeting of Stormont's health committee on Thursday afternoon with departmental officials.
It comes following a request from the committee's chair, Sinn Féin MLA Philip McGuigan.
It is understood the department's permanent secretary and other senior officials are due to appear.
On Wednesday, McGuigan said he believed Nesbitt "had the interests of patients first".
He said the next health minister also needed to make decisions in the best interests of patients, staff and the health service.
Another member of the committee, Nuala McAllister of the Alliance Party, said: "What is of particular importance right now is this will have shaken the confidence of quite a number of people who work in our healthcare system."
'Momentum must not stop'
PA MediaSpeaking on behalf of Health and Social Care leaders, the Chair of the NI Confederation for Health and Social Care, Roisin Coulter, said Nesbitt had listened to clinical leaders and called on the new minister to do the same.
"The momentum behind the Department of Health's Reset Plan, which is overwhelmingly supported by our members, must not stop.
"The Reset Plan focuses on prevention, moving services out of acute hospitals and closer to local communities, whole-system working, digital transformation, efficiency, and innovation."
Coulter called on the new health minister to "build on the progress already made".
Director of the Royal College of Nursing in Northern Ireland, Rita Devlin, said the union was disappointed that Nesbitt was leaving office at a time when significant decisions are needed to "improve services for patients" and address the pressures facing nurses.
PacemakerDr Alan Stout, who chairs the British Medical Association's (BMA) Northern Ireland Council, said he has "huge respect" for Nesbitt for the "clinically led principles" that he has had on Causeway Hospital, adding that he put "patient safety above politics".
Speaking on BBC Radio Ulster's Good Morning Ulster programme, he said: "It's always far too easy to play the populism card, to promise what is undeliverable."
He said politicians who are prepared to stand up and make the difficult decisions are what is needed.
Niall McGonigle, Northern Ireland Director of the Royal College of Surgeons said Nesbitt "worked to address long waiting times for treatment and the significant pressures facing NHS staff and services".
"It is important that momentum is maintained on plans to improve patient care and strengthen services."
McGonigle, added that his college "supports the modernisation and transformation of surgical services where this improves outcomes for patients and helps ensure services are sustainable for the future".
"We would encourage all parties to continue working collaboratively in the interests of patients and to support the stability of the health service," he added.
What was the row over the Causeway Hospital about?

In May 2025, the trust recommended that EGS should only be provided at one of its hospital sites.
A trust spokesperson said the recommendation, which would still see elective surgery delivered at Causeway, was aimed at ensuring it "can continue to deliver a safe, stable and sustainable service".
They said it followed a 14-week public consultation.
"The current model of providing emergency general surgery across two sites is becoming increasingly unsustainable and our preference is for a planned and managed change to avoid potential service collapse," the spokesperson said.
"Our ambition is to further develop Causeway Hospital as an elective and diagnostic hub for the entire north-west area."
The move will not be confirmed unless it is signed off by the health minister.
Last week, more than 200 people gathered at Coleraine Town Hall to call on the health minister to stop EGS being moved to Antrim Area Hospital.
Campaigners warned that it would create a domino effect leading to other services being withdrawn.
A Northern Trust spokesperson said that in absence of a ministerial decision, it "will continue to do all we can...to ensure our general surgery service remains as safe and stable as possible, with patient safety our utmost priority.
"Our preference remains for a planned and managed change that will ensure we can avoid a potential service collapse".
