Suspected small boat crossing facilitator arrested
National Crime AgencyA man suspected of facilitating the arrival of 19 migrants to the UK has been arrested.
The National Crime Agency (NCA) said the 36-year-old, believed to be an Iranian national, was detained during a raid in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, on Tuesday. He remains in custody for questioning.
Officers suspect he piloted a small boat carrying 18 adults and one child from France in August last year.
The NCA said the circumstances surrounding the crossing and others who may have been behind it, "remain under investigation".
The agency said tackling criminal networks behind people smuggling remains a priority, and it had more than 100 live investigations.
John Purcell, senior investigating officer, said: "The image of this boat in the water demonstrates just how dangerous these crossings are, and how those involved in organising them do not care about the risks to those they transport."
National Crime AgencyThe NCA said 300 people were arrested in the year to April, a 55% increase on the previous year.
Last month, two people smugglers were jailed in Cardiff for organising the illegal entry of hundreds of migrants, although little of the profits they made could be traced.
Purcell added: "Working with partners, we continue to do all we can to disrupt and dismantle the criminal networks who profit from them."
Do you have a story suggestion for Beds, Herts or Bucks? Contact us below.
Follow Beds, Herts and Bucks news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.
