Claims Hearts players assaulted 'not proven' - O'Neill

Hearts' Lawrence Shankland with stewards at full time after Celtic beat Hearts to win the Scottish Premiership title
- Published
Celtic manager Martin O'Neill says allegations Hearts players were assaulted amid Saturday's pitch invasion "has not been proved".
Shareholder Tony Bloom claimed on Wednesday that Hearts players were assaulted by Celtic fans as they ran on the pitch to celebrate clinching the Scottish Premiership title.
Police Scotland are investigating whether there was any criminality involved, and O'Neill says if proof emerges then "apologies are due".
"We have gone back in the pictures and there's no sign of that at this minute," the interim Celtic manager told BBC Scotland.
"If he [Bloom] has seen that there or the police have seen that, then certainly apologies are due but that is not being seen at his minute."
Hearts previously criticised what they called "highly irresponsible" comments from O'Neill, when the Northern Irishman dismissed claims the incident embarrassed Scottish football.
Hearts players were confronted by some fans after Callum Osmand scored to make it 3-1 in the 98th minute.
O'Neill rejects 'nonsense' criticism of pitch invasion
- Published5 days ago
Pitch invasions 'a bad look' - but Clarke praises Tartan Army
- Published3 days ago
Celtic apologised to their opponents earlier this week after they were forced to make a quick exit from the stadium while still in their kit.
"We are aware of highly irresponsible comments made publicly this week, which appear to seek to defend those who entered the pitch on Saturday and undermine the gravity of the situation," Hearts said in a statement on Wednesday., external
"Those remarks carry dangerous implications, and we call upon the football authorities to ensure that this matter is addressed with the seriousness it demands, and with the full cooperation of all involved."
Bloom claimed Hearts players were put in harm's way amid the chaotic scenes.
"The final whistle hadn't gone, so no supporters should have been on the pitch," he told talkSPORT.
"The Hearts players were in danger and one or two got assaulted. It is completely unacceptable behaviour and the authorities will be looking at it. I don't want to say any more about that."
Scottish FA release audio from officials
Hearts also raised concerns about the "premature" end to the match, with referee Don Robertson signalling for full-time despite there appearing to be 30 seconds left of the eight minutes of stoppage time when the ball crossed the line.
The club's statement added they have written to the SPFL and Scottish FA "expressing our concern that a troubling precedent has been set whereby a pitch invasion can effectively determine the duration of a match".
Now the Scottish FA has released the video and audio, external from the match officials.
It confirms Robertson did end the game after consulting with Hearts head Derek McInnes, who wanted their players off the pitch as Celtic fans streamed on.
The statement noted McInnes "intimated concerns over player safety", which means the game was ended without adding on the usual extra time for a goal celebration.
"We fully support the decisive action taken by Don Robertson and his team to end the game," the governing body added.
- Published18 June 2023

